Saturday, November 2, 2013

Audio Bibles

Back in March when I sent out support letters asking for money to get me back to Uganda, I was worried about sending them to people that I asked to support me just one year ago. I thought people would be bothered or tired of helping me out but this year people seemed even more generous than last year. I am so blessed. One of the surprise blessing was from Mr. Greg Herring. He got my letter and him and his wife gave generously but then he called me and told me about some audiobibles he wanted me to bring to Uganda. In african culture there is an emphasis on oral telling of stories. some thing we americans may never understand. we would rather read about something to learn it but in africa they can learn better by hearing it spoke aloud. these audio bibles would do just that. They are solar powered 2.5 ounces and no bigger than the average wallet. They have speakers or can be plugged into headphones for listening. Mr Greg told me all about them and i said yes! these would for sure be something these people can use! I thought of momma monica who cant speak english or read/write Luganda. She doesnt go to church on Suday because we go to an english speaking church. The only bible she is getting is when the kids have night time devotionals and they read a bible story from the book and one of the other staff translates it for her and the kids. This would be a way that monica can hear the very words of Jesus not just a summarized kids version of it.

Mr Herring was excited too and put in an order for some audio bibles for me to take in Luganda, Lanugo, English and Acholi. The only problem was that i was getting on the plane in a week and they still hadn't arrived.

The day before we got onto the plane we saw the package on our door step! God is good!

Then I heard Agnes' story.
Agnes is from the Acholi trip - she lived in the Acholi quarters displaced there after the war broke out in northern Uganda. While there she learned about ILA (the organization that trys to relocate the Acholi people back to their home land in Gulu). She was a witch doctor but ILA's resettlement program requires therapy and the bible is incorporated into each lesson. After learning of Jesus she trusted in Him and is a believer now. Agnes called a friend over and together they emptied her house of everything witch craft. Most of all Agnes fell in love with Jesus and she longed to learn more about Him. She would pray and the Lord would give her a verse in her head but she can not read and she doesn't own a bible so she would run to her neighbors house and say please read to me Acts 4:9 or whatever verse the spirit gave her. The neighbor would read her the verse and she would weep because it had everything to do with her current situation. The Lord was communicating to her through His word but she had no way to hear unless someone read to her. Agnes' thirst for the word grew and grew and she would go around asking anyone to please read to her but they could only read to her for so long and only so often.

When I was told this story I knew that God wanted me to deliver an audio bible to this woman. I didn't get to give her one while I was in Uganda but I prayed and decided to give all the bibles to the ILA organization to give away to those they thought would benefit most and this definitely included Agnes.

The coolest thing was how God let everything fall into place. He told me to send support letters to even those I asked last year, He put it on Greg's heart to call me and give me these bibles, He got me the bibles right before I had to leave, He let me hear this story, and He even made me remember to even put the Acholi language on the tapes. I had added the Acholi language as kind of an after thought not thinking that I would get the opportunity to go there much or get these to them but now all but 2 of the audio bibles are being given to the Acholi people. Wow. He really does work everything out according to his plan and purpose. Our job is only to trust and obey.

Here is me handing off these beautiful audiobibles to Benson director and founder of ILA Uganda

Agnes finally receiving her Audio bible

Margaret and family receiving their audio bible!

Please visit www.ilauganda.org to learn more about ILA Uganda and please pray for this amazing organization and those who are receiving counseling and therapy with their program to recover after the war and relocate back home. Also pray for those who will be getting an audio bible in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment