Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mary, I love you


When I found out about Rafiki Africa Ministries last October I fell in love with the kids even before I had met them. One in particular, Mary, has been on me and my family’s heart since the beginning. She is eight years old and has Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy. She was so beautiful in those pictures and I just couldn’t wait to hold her in my arms. When packing, me and my mom (an elementary special needs teacher of twenty-something years) couldn’t help but think of Mary’s needs. I was constantly asking my mom for tips and coming to watch her work in her class room to better understand how to help her. We packed some Velcro symbols with us and even found a walker to donate. Although the walker and wheelchairs didn’t make it over here, I did. And I was so excited to be able to help her. I spent even up to the last hours driving to the airport going over with my mom about how to help teach Mary. For some reason God placed this desire in me to want to help her so bad. When I arrived at my new home for the next three months I felt really sad and empty to learn Mary had been sent to a special needs boarding school just weeks before I had gotten here. I was really disappointed but I trusted that Joseph and Sara wouldn’t send her to just any boarding school. And I trusted that God was taking care of her. And how much better can God help her than I could. When the kids pray at night they try to go through each name of everyone in  the house occasionally they would forget me or one of the other kids (and I don’t blame them! There is a lot of people to remember!) But that doesn’t matter because when they remembered to thank God for Mary it would make my heart glow. I longed to meet her and every time they spoke of Mary my heart would miss this girl I have never met before.

Then yesterday came. I knew that today I would see Mary, play with her, kiss her, hug her, and laugh with her. But I was so anxious. The other children’s homes that we had visited were very understaffed, dirty, had poor resources and little learning could take place there because of the sheer number of kids. I remembered Katalemua from a few weeks back. How the kids dressed in dirty clothes. How the classes had such a wide range of abilities and disabilities that virtually nothing could be taught that didn’t leave someone behind. And my stomach was in knots. I woke up really early that morning because I couldn’t sleep. What if Mary was in a place like that? What if she got lost in the system and she wasn’t being loved on or getting special attention. That morning I held back the anxious tears as I took the kids to school. I knew that no matter what conditions Mary was living in my job today was to love. To love her and the other kids and to love the staff and to be joyous and thankful. The long car ride there I prayed so hard for her. I was so scared and I could do nothing else.

We pulled into the quiet compound called The Elizabeth Home, and instantly I felt relief. It was quiet. There was a huge plot of land with grass! GREEN grass! I haven’t seen a lawn like this since I left the states. And there was a little boy in a red shirt – I later learned his name is Colin – and a smiling teacher was helping him use his walker. The other kids were inside in class. There was no screaming children dressed in rags. No abandoned groups of kids running around throwing things. This place was paradise. As we took a short tour of the four separate houses where the kids slept and bathed my soul lifted higher an higher. I was so relieved. The rooms had paint! Beautiful colors on the walls. I haven’t seen paint on the walls since I’ve been here either. The floors were clean, each bed had fresh sheets and mosquito nets. And the GRASS! It was amazing. They could play outside on the grass and not worry about scraped knees and hard falls. There were a couple of turkeys walking around. Some goats. And a big garden in the back with fruits and pigs! The place was so clean they even bathe the pigs! I heard Sara tell Momma Esther that Mary was outside so I sneaked away from the group and Esther and I searched for Mary. When I saw her I started crying for joy. This must be a tiny taste of what Dawn and John Patterson will feel when they come to Uganda later this week to adopt their boy from another orphanage. I had just been waiting to meet this sweet girl for over 8 months and she was finally here. Right in front of me. The one my family and I have been praying for! I kissed her and hugged her and my heart was at peace. Mary is in the best place I’ve ever seen in Uganda. Her smile warmed me all the way to my toes. And I felt such an overwhelming peace. She plopped into my lap and laid her head against my chest. And I just cried and laughed. I’ve never felt like this before. I was so happy. I still don’t understand the love I have for Mary but why ask questions. Love never makes since anyways. She smiled at me as we held both of our hands together and she looked me in the eyes. Her joy seemed to overflow onto me and soon we were both laughing.

There are about 20 kids. They have house moms (most are widows) who stay in the homes at night and I saw at least 7 teachers – a ratio much better than any organization I’ve seen here. The staff is trained and the kids are so well behaved.  The kids push each other’s wheelchairs, feed one another, play together and share crayons together. I thank God for this place. I am so glad Mary is there to get all the help she needs and get love from everyone too. I know that the kids and the staff at Rafiki miss her very much and every time they speak of Mary I’m tempted to be sad but Mary is filled with joy where she is. God has protected and provided for her in so many ways. I hope to be back in the Elizabeth home to love on her and the other kids some more! One day wasn’t enough.

This is the huge yard and colorful houses! This place was amazing!

Momma Esther and "rock man"

This is Grace. Taylor fell in love with her. She is 16 and she has an incredible story. She has a four year old baby because someone in her family raped her. But she is in this beautiful place now and she is safe. Continue to pray for her because I think that something that horrific is hard to forget no matter how functional your brain may be. Pray for her family and thank God that we got to meet her and love her. She was just a glowing girl.

Laura and Mary

Beautiful Mary

The kids all got together and sang songs to us. They even welcomed us with a traditional African tribal dance with grass skirts. It was so fun! they had a blast and thought it was so funny when all of us Mzugus put on the grass skirts and tried to dance for them!



Me and Mary. She is so smiley!

The older boys "shading" a picture!

Henry is on the left and the other boy I never caught his name but they are the oldest and so sweet!
and in font of me is Joseph. He was a delight!

Taylor with Grace again. And as you can see this room is so big
and perfect for all these amazing kids to play and learn!

Me and the older boys again. We became quite good friends :)

Comfort and another girl named Mary were helping wash off the tables and sweep the floors! they were such good helpers the whole time.

Shading pictures with the kids! This day was amazing.

Me and Immaculate playing a three legged race game! The huge lawn is great for games! We all played a relay type game with the kids involving 3 legged races, tossing tennis balls, hopping on one leg, and running! The kids loved it so much!

Here is one of the boys' rooms! Isnt it just so clean and nice?! I was so happy that these kids were getting the very best.

Sara and Mary! So sweet!

It was so fun hanging out in the gazebo with all the kids!


Pray for these kids. Pray for Mary. Thank God for the Elizabeth Home and pray that He will bless it so much.

Kids with special needs just have a certain kind of joy unlike any other. Their joy is so pure and innocent and the Lord looks down at them and He smiles. They don’t feel sorry for themselves and neither does God. They have a purpose just like me and you. Thank you Jesus for them. For all they teach us about your goodness and grace. And thank you for this day. It has been the most rewarding and precious day that I’ve had. Thank you Jesus for being so sweet to me and to Mary.

Mary, I love you.

1 comment: