Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mom's first Market day!

Wednesdays are market days so my mom got to go to her first Ugandan market!
The market is a huge area with lots of venders selling fresh food! Auntie Kailey came with us and so did Auntie Esther and Godfrey! We had a blast and it took up the whole morning! shopping in Uganda is all on the bartering system which auntie Esther is the best at so we let her do all the talking while me and Kailey taught my mom about all the food!



On market days we take 3 kids with us and at the end of the shopping they get a treat! Brenda, Carol and Don got strawberry juice! We go to a large outdoor market place but then to get stuff like toilet paper and laundry detergent we go to a store that's a lot like HEB but in Uganda called Shopprite and that's where we got them this juice.

When we got back we played a game I think called Mr Clock! One kid is the clock and covers his eyes and the others say "MR CLOCK MR CLOCK WHAT TIME IS IT" and then the clock decides its 6 o'clock and everyone jumps forward 6 times. It gets harder when the clock decides its 43 o'clock but we just roll with it. When they say 7 o'clock that means they get to turn around and try to tag us all!






The kids made their own books today. It was neat to see each one's gifts come out during this activity. Joel of course had awesome pictures and an excellent story about an elephant, lion and bear. He is the creative one and the artist. By the way! I got to teach Joel how to draw from perspective yesterday! I helped him draw a bike from life, draw a shoe, and even set up a still life for him to draw with an etch-a-sketch and a hairbrush! He did so well! It made me want to be an art teacher! I need to post a picture of his drawings sometimes because they are incredible for a 6 year old!  he is so talented and I love getting to help him with his art!

Here are Brenda and Don and Jerom holding up their very own story books that they made!



4 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't realize they had modern stores. I thought, it was more "village like". You should post some pictures, of the area, that best represents Uganda. That's interesting, that they use the bartering system, for even the supermarkets.You should try, to get Joel, to draw a self portrait. He could just have a mirror, in front, of him, as he draws. I had, to do, that, when I had art class, in school. I just thought, about it, do ya'll have, to take malaria pills, there? Oh, yeah. What does Rafiki tanslate, into, in English? I saw a post, somewhere, from the Lion King. There was a quote, then -Rafiki. It just reminded me, of one, of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Kampala is a very modern city! I will try to post some pictures of the area soon! they use the bartering system only in the market places not in the supermarkets but supermarkets are usually way more expensive! Good idea to have joel do a self portrait i think he would really enjoy it!
      We do take malaria pills but there aren't too too many mosquitoes in the city so far!
      Rafiki means Friend!

      Thanks so much Rayford for your prayers and thoughts!

      Delete
  2. They are all getting so big! It's so awesome to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! Annet has really grown and Emma too! you should see him in his little pajamas!

      Delete