Friday, June 21, 2013

Contentment


If you cant tell I'm super behind on blogs because I've been really busy the past two weeks! Mom is back home and doing well and I'm doing ok here too just WE MISS HER A LOT!  Before she left I asked mom to write about what The Lord has been teaching her.

A word from mom:


As I have contemplated what God is teaching me while I'm here in Africa, I think the biggest thing is being content in ALL things.  You never know if you are going to have running water or not, you don't know how long you will have power, so you just live in the moment. Your meals are prepared for you and so is your schedule so if you don't learn contentment in the process, it will be really difficult to be here.

 I think that our sinful nature is to be discontent.  Even Paul had to LEARN contentment. "For I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am in."  James writes that the lack of contentment is the basis for most of our relational conflicts. "What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members.  You lust and do not have; so you commit murder.  And you are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel."

The children at Rafiki Home have had some pretty rough backgrounds.  To listen to them pray is very humbling.  They thank God for their food and the person who prepared it, for the gift of life, for the day, etc.  They do a lot more "thanking" God, than asking God.

I know I'm not complete in my education on contentment, but Uganda has taught me a lot about what attitude we should have at all times!


No comments:

Post a Comment