Sunday, June 2, 2013

thankful regardless


Days like today happen a lot in Uganda.  Days when you have one thing planned and all figured out but them almost not of it happens at all.  Even still we can have joy because He is working all things together for the good of those who seek Him.  Today we actually planned out all we were going to do last night and event wrote it out!  HaHa!  Things never go as planned so that was a kinda silly thing to do.  What did end up happening today was fun!

We went on a nature walk with Moses and played “steal the bacon” in a field with the kids and did races!  The kids were so tired on the way back but they slept so well at nap time!





Our activity time was about having perspective.  When we see just a single puzzle piece we can’t know what the big picture is.  This is like when we see our tiny lives and think there is no way I can impact anything but God sees beginning, middle and end so He has everything under control and knows everything that will happen in our lives even we can’t figure out why we are in a certain situation or when we feel like everything is meaningless.  Mom was in charge of the puzzle activity and I taught the verse Ecc . 11:5  

“As you  do not know the path of the wind or how a baby is shaped and formed so you do not understand the work of the Lord the maker of all things”

Then the power went out. Running water has been off for a few days now but no water AND no power can be pretty frustrating. So we ate by candle light and played games in the dark. Jerom had a really high fever and finding meds and taking temps and everything for him was just inconvenient in the dark.


My roommates can tell you that I have the worst eyesight in the dark! I’m always tuning lights on and opening windows if its too dim! Just imagine how much complete darkness disorients me!

When kid’s devotional time finally came around they sang a song I haven’t heard in a loooong time it goes “Jehovah e lift you higher, Jehovah you gave me…Carol” and then carol comes into the middle of the circle and dances for a little while then we went through each of the kid’s names. So then I realized something. I realized that He gave me each of these kids he gave me all my family friends and those I love so if he doesn’t give me electricity or running water when I pray for it I still have so many reasons to be thankful.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice, to see more, of what it looks like over there. Good pictures. Steel the Bacon sounds like a delicious game. Ha, ha. So, how did ya'll get along, without the running water? Did ya'll have, to go get water, for showers, or have, to take baby wipe baths? I've had, to do, that, before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post and especially your title made me think of Nicole Nordeman's song "Gratitude". you should find it on youtube. here's one verse.

    Daily bread, give us daily bread
    Bless our bodies, keep our children fed
    Fill our cups, then fill them up again tonight
    Wrap us up
    And warm us through
    Tucked away beneath our sturdy roofs
    Let us slumber safe from danger's view this time
    Or maybe not, not today
    Maybe You'll provide in other ways
    And if that's the case...

    We'll give thanks to You with gratitude
    A lesson learned to hunger after You
    That a starry sky offers a better view if no roof is overhead
    And if we never taste that bread

    This song always makes me tear up. we pray our hearts desire and then we trust God's goodness and we are thankful whatever happens because His plans are perfect!

    ReplyDelete