Saturday, July 27, 2013

Gulu



Last year when we visited the Acholi Quarters I remember feeling something special in my heart for the Acholi people. They are a tribe who live in the north but many were displaced to Kampala when war broke out. There is so much history and background to explain about the war that took place in the north that I have kind of been procrastinating writing this post. “The Lord’s Resistance Army” (LRA) and Joseph Koney have been brought to the attention of Americans largely because of the Invisible Children efforts. Actually seeing where it took place and talking to people who were affected first hand made the war seem so much more real to me though.

In Gulu we got to visit many different organizations that are helping the Acholi people get back on their feet again. It was inspiring and I learned so much. My favorite thing we did was talking and walking with the guys who work for ILA. We got to spend a lot of time with them! Going out to eat and waiting hours for food to arrive you really can get to know someone! They showed us around town and along the way they told us countless stories about their childhood and growing up during the war. It was crazy some of the things they have been through. They are filled with an incredible hope despite the horrific things they have seen. I also liked just getting to know them as people. They aren’t just story books full of heart wrenching tragic tales, they are people! They have hobbies and jokes and they are more than just what happened to them during the war. I liked that they were open to tell us those stories but also they were open to us just getting to know them, they’re favorite colors, plans for the future and everything. As soon as I met them I knew they were different than anyone I’ve ever met. They are like family to me. Immediately there is a calm and comfort surrounding them and I felt welcomed home almost. By the end of our 4 day stay in Gulu I had true friends and I think that is what was the most special thing about Gulu.

Here are Zalen and Dennis (two of the ILA guys) talkin with us

In Gulu we got around only by Boda and walking but it is so beautiful! Its green with red dirt! its like the Africa everyone thinks of when you think Africa.

Hunter and Megan playing with some kids at one of the non-profit organizations


These are the huts people live in in Gulu

It is Beautiful here!

No comments:

Post a Comment