Monday, July 23, 2012

Haircuts


I went with the kids to get haircuts! We all walked in a big group to this tiny salon. It is a room painted neon green and it was so HOT! Even though the doors were open there were just so many of us in there and little air flow. But the kids didn’t seem to mind. It was fun watching them. When it was their turn they would proudly sit in the barber’s chair with huge smiles. I think they were excited because I was excited and making a big deal out of how brave they were and taking pictures and telling them how “smart” they were going to look when it was done. I’m sure it’s usually no big deal to them unlike kids in America who cry when their hair is an inch too short (Yes. I was one of those kids). But I was still proud of them. It was fun but it took a really long time! They had 11 heads to shave and only 2 barbers. Carol is growing her hair out but she almost changed her mind right before because all the other girls were going. Haha but I’m glad she didn’t because I think Carol’s hair do’s are so precious! 

Anyway in the middle of cutting hair, one of the barbers left to answer his phone so Moses took over and tried to cut Esther’s…I guess it’s not as easy as it looked because it didn’t turn out so well but the other guy fixed it after his 30 min phone call haha.  
 
Everything takes longer in Africa. I love how Ugandans are so laid back and easy going. Time really does seem to stop here. It’s so neat because if someone is walking somewhere and sees a friend they’ll put down their brief case or shopping back or take the bowl of bananas off their head and just chat with their friend for a while before going on their way. There has been many times when the team was all in the car ready to leave but Joseph stops the car and gets out to greet a friend. I love it because it shows how much Ugandans value relationships. No one was impatient or frustrated when the barber left to talk to his friend on the phone. Haha it seems like no one is in a hurry here…even the ambulances! Haha anyways haircuts were altogether fun to experience. They asked me to take my hair down and I showed them. And they said “it feels like a goat”. They laughed and asked to shave my hair next!


Oscar

Fauziya, Annet, Brenda, and Esther anxiously waiting their turn in the chair! And Jerom is on the end showing off his freshly bald head!

No comments:

Post a Comment