Saturday, July 7, 2012

Planting Trees

I am so in love with these children. They are so precious to me. I haven't felt so happy, so loved, or so at peace than when I'm with these children. Ok...at times it s the opposite of peaceful but still deep inside me I feel so content and nothing else matters except that I love them. I want the very best for them. I'm nervous about leaving them and i know it will be so hard. But Laura shared with us something that really helped me.

From Paul's letter to the church in Corinth you can tell that the church was really messed up. There were a lot of divisions and a lot of wrong things going on. The people were arguing amongst each other saying "I follow Paul" or "I follow Apollos" (1 Corinthians 3). But Paul's point is that it isn't about which leader you boast in but that it is God's power alone that is at work. We all follow Jesus no matter which church! Verses 5-11 is a good reminder that we all have different roles, talents, abilities that God gave us to use for His work - but it is only God who works in men's hearts. My work in Uganda is about God not about me or my name. We all have one purpose (vs 8) which is to glorify God. It is because of God's grace that I could come here and love on these kids. It is according to the grace God has given us that we do this work.

1Cor. 3:10-11 "By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ."

These kids do have Jesus as their foundation. Vs 10 helped me a lot because there have been missionaries before me and there will be missionaries after me to be with and love these kids but "each should be careful how he builds." While I am here I need to be careful, to be intentional, and do everything in love because God has given me such an incredible task - to help, to teach, and to love these 13 kids every second I can. It is most important that they have Jesus as their foundation, and they really do. After I leave others will continue the work just as I have continue the work of those before me. Please pray for the missionaries who came before me. I'm so thankful for them everyday. The kids are so in love with them still. I pray their lives will be blessed beyond what they think possible. Also pray for those coming after me. That Jesus will prepare their hearts. I love these children so much. They are a part of me now. Pray for them to grow healthy and strong and courageous.

Like Paul, we are just planters planting seeds in people's hearts or watering seeds that have already been established, but God makes them grow. Laura probably explained it a lot more clearly sorry! But I guess just read 1st Corinthians chapter 3 if I'm really not making sense at all! haha Also Laura shared the song by Andrew Peterson called "Planting Trees." You should all listen to it!

Thank you for your prayers.


1 comment: